I'm not giving you my luggage!

We were ready to leave the city for some quieter scenery. We decided to head to Bozcaada, a small island in the Aegean Sea off the west coast of Turkey, about 5 hours by bus.

We lugged our packs on the metro and arrived at the massive "Otogar" (bus station) and looked for a bus going to Canakkale. It was 11:19 and we purchased tickets for the 11:30 bus. We realized that we needed to take some food and drinks for the long bus ride so Steve left me with all the luggage and took off to get some stuff. We had 11 minutes before the bus departure.

Immediately after Steve left the bus company employee asked for our luggage saying that the bus was already leaving late and it was waiting for us. I found out then that at 11:19 they sold us tickets for the 11:00 bus (?).

One by one of the employees stopped by and said "Lady, give me your luggage" to whom I replied "I need to wait for my husband". The crowd around me grew as all of the bus company employees came over to convince me to give up my luggage, of course Steve was nowhere to be seen! I continued to refuse to give up my luggage and told everyone that I wouldn't give anything up until my husband was back and I was sure we were both getting in the bus. By then it was 11:28 and the other bus passengers and their friends and family were also trying to convince me to give up my bags.

Steve came up running up right on time with food and water sweating like crazy, he also had had his share of trouble getting the supplies.

I gave them the luggage.

What they didn't understand is that everything we have is in those bags. Losing them was not an option.
We jumped on the bus and left Istanbul.

Gaby


No comments: