Arrival in Turkey


Gaby’s flight was supposed to arrive half hour after mine but was delayed. Because we didn’t have a way of communicating I wasn’t sure if she was coming or when she was coming. I waited anxiously while hundreds of people went by without seeing Gaby.
Finally after over an hour she showed up, we were ready to hit Istanbul!

When we got to the baggage claim my backpack was nowhere to be found, and after checking everywhere we finally found it in the lost & found area. While trying to figure out how to get downtown we were approached by a local who informed us that the hotel we were going to had an airport shuttle, he volunteered to show us and we proceeded to follow him. Out of nowhere another guy came up and punched him and the person we were following threw his cell phone at him, shuttering it into a million pieces. The two of us looked at each other, turned around and took the opportunity to leave the scene of the fight that ensued.

We figured out how to take the metro into the Sultanahmet neighborhood where we would stay. We ended up taking a hotel room on the main street across from the mosque and that was the beginning of our night of hell.

Between the blaring of the Muslim prayers through the loudspeakers across the street, the people next door partying all night, and the brutal temperature in our room (88 degrees all night) you could imagine how little sleep we got.

First thing the next morning I marched out of our hotel looking for a good room we could crash in. I found it in a small hotel located in a back alley with a soft bed and air conditioning. After checking in we closed the drapes, ran the air conditioning and slept the entire day.


Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaby/Steve,

I wish you two the best in your travels. I will be leaving vicariously through two so keep up the good blogging. Have a great time!

Lorin

christineterrill said...

Ahh, the many colors of adventure!!! So glad your paths have merged and fun to hear of your adventures! Lots of love from Wisconsin!
Christine